Thursday, September 30, 2004

Washington Post: Foster Report

Washington Post: Foster Report. Full text of the report on the 1993 death of Clinton White House counsel Vincent W. Foster, Jr., issued by Whitewater independent counsel Kenneth Starr in 1997.

From the site:

In accordance with 28 U.S.C. § 594(h), the Office of Independent Counsel In re: Madison Guaranty Savings & Loan Association (the OIC) files this summary report on the 1993 death of Deputy White House Counsel Vincent W. Foster, Jr.

On July 20, 1993, police and rescue personnel were called to Fort Marcy Park in suburban Northern Virginia They found Mr. Foster lying dead with a gun in his right hand and gunshot residue-like material on that hand. There were no signs of a struggle. There was a gunshot wound through the back of his head and blood under his head and back. The autopsy determined that Mr. Foster's death was caused by a gunshot through the back of his mouth exiting the back of his head. The autopsy revealed no other wounds on Mr. Foster's body.

The police later learned that Mr. Foster had called a family doctor for antidepressant medication the day before his death. He had told his sister four days before his death that he was depressed, and she had given him the names of three psychiatrists. He had written in the days or weeks before his death that he "was not meant for the job or the spotlight of public life in Washington. Here, ruining people is considered sport."

Two law enforcement investigations – the initial United States Park Police investigation and a subsequent investigation conducted under the direction of regulatory Independent Counsel Robert B. Fiske, Jr. – concluded that Mr. Foster committed suicide by gunshot in Fort Marcy Park. Two inquiries in the Congress of the United States reached the same conclusion. After analysis of the evidence gathered during those investigations, and further investigation including adducing evidence before the federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., the OIC likewise has concluded that Mr. Foster committed suicide by gunshot in Fort Marcy Park.

No comments: