The libraries are created to perserve and make available the papers, records, and other materials from each president’s administration. The majority of the presidential libraries are maintained by the National Archives, however funding is handled through private, non-federal sources.
Some of the presidential libraries are maintained by a particular state. The state of Illinois maintains the Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum. Other libraries are maintained by private foundations.
Here are seventeen links to presidential libraries around the country and few extra thrown in for good measure:
1. The Stone Library at Adams National Historical Park
2. Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
3. Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
4. The McKinley Museum
5. Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library
6. Calvin Coolidge Presidential Library and Museum
7. Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
8. Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum
9. Harry S Truman Presidential Museum and Library
10. Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library
11. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
12. Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum
13. Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum
14. Gerald R. Ford Museum; Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library
15. Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
16. George Bush Presidential Library & Museum
17. William J. Clinton Presidential Library and Museum
Cross-posted at History Is Elementary.