The July 14th issue of Newsweek has a quiz on page 6 titled "Take Your Brain for a Spin." Question 1 asks, "How many presidents achieved the rank of general or higher?" Much to my surprise, the quiz answer was 3! It listed Washington, Grant, and Ike.
Well, that is wrong! I think the answer is 7. Andrew Jackson and William Henry Harrison were both a general in the War of 1812. Zachary Taylor was a general in the Mexican War. And James Garfield was a general in the American Civil War.
I am not quite sure how Newsweek got their answer. I think Newsweek is plain wrong.
It looks like the answer is actually 12.
1. George Washington, Revolutionary War
2. Andrew Jackson, War of 1812
3. William Henry Harrison, War of 1812
4. Zachary Taylor, Mexican War
5. Franklin Pierce, Mexican War
6. Andrew Johnson, Civil War
7. Ulysses Simpson Grant, Civil War
8. Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Civil War
9. James Abram Garfield, Civil War
10. Chester Allan Arthur, Civil War
11. Benjamin Harrison, Civil War
12. Dwight David Eisenhower, World War II