Ground was broke for the George W Bush Library on Tuesday. The library is scheduled to be open in February of 2013 and will be at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. Some facts about the new library:
- The Bush Center will sit on a 23-acre lot on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and include the George W. Bush Library, which includes the archives and museum, and the George W. Bush Institute.
- The design includes a 15-acre urban park featuring native landscaping and includes a rainwater collection system that will provide 50 percent of the irrigation needed.
- The site will feature a Texas Rose Garden, possessing the same proportions, solar orientation, and formal organization as the White House Rose Garden.
- The Archives for President Bush, the first President of the 21" Century, contain 80 terabytes of digital information, including 200 million e-mails.
- There are more than 43,000 artifacts from the Bush Administration on file with the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
- The Bush Institute already has active fellows working in the areas of human freedom, education reform, global health, and economic growth.
- The Bush Center was designed by architect Robert A.M. Stern and landscape architect Michael Van Valkenburgh.
- The general contractor is Manhattan Construction Co., which also built the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station, Texas.